Thursday 21 May 2015

Moment in time

Moment in timeHemideina crassidens   


I was crawling through the deep dark hole in the cave. I could see black moving shadows of the kids in my classroom ahead. Little wetas were leaping above and below me. My torch was the only light I had, so if it ran out of batteries this could be over. I could smell the wetness of the mud sinking into the kids shoes. I could taste the wind and dust sneaking in to my mouth. I climbed and climbed until I could see fresh air and the sun lighting up the cave.



Then suddenly we stopped, it was like everybody in the world had just froze in that movement. Mr Ford said that we were going to have to go through a cave with bat poo in it! So in the end that was a shocker because it was the longest cave and you had to go sideways, so all through that cave we were holding on to bat poo.



Then the next cave was the weta cave, (It was just a little cave), but it was still pretty freaky with all those terrible looking insects. But I really wanted to get that weta cave over and done because Mr Ford said that the wetas can jump all over you. I don't know if he was joking or not about that part.


Finally we climbed up the dirty rusty brown ladder to a little dirt tunnel, and that was when we ended up back on the road where the minivans were to take us back to camp for lunch.  

No comments:

Post a Comment